So what will this mean for patients?
The main benefits are:
- Earlier diagnosis meaning you will be able to start managing your condition earlier and therefore remain better for longer
- Being more in control of your condition through the right support and being more knowledgeable about your condition
- Maintaining your independence for longer as you will have the tools to manage your condition and the support locally
- Your condition will be managed in your home or in the community with less visits to hospital
- Access to more local services such as clinics held at GP practices and locally held outpatient clinics
- Better and more effective usage of your medicines through support at the clinics held at GP practices
- Feeling better about your condition through support available and the ability to self manage
- Having a better patient experience and feeling more in control of what can be a frightening condition.
Why respiratory services?
- Our area admits more respiratory patients to hospital than other similar areas
- Our area has a high number of people with respiratory conditions such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder (COPD)
- These services cost more in our area per patient than other areas.
For further information, or to get involved with the Respiratory Services project, contact Adrian McLean-Tooke, Project and Service Improvement Manager, Long Term Conditions.
You can also visit the British Lung Foundation website for advice and information on respiratory conditions and steps you can take to reduce your risk of developing these conditions.
Listen to your lungs
Feeling short of breath from time to time is healthy and normal – but sometimes it can be a sign of something more serious.
The British lung Foundation are encouraging people not to ignore getting out of breath, and helping them decide if it's time to speak to someone about it.
Take their free online breath test today!
Answer some simple questions to see if you should get it checked out. It only takes about five minutes, and it’s completely confidential.