Dr Gary Howsam, Chair of NHS Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) and a local GP said, “The NHS is here to help you, and you should continue to seek medical treatment if and when you need it. Sometimes it might feel like a default to go to A&E if you think NHS services are closed during the festive break. But instead think 111 first, and they will be able to tell you what’s open near you. Our NHS staff do an amazing job every day. Let's help them by using their services wisely.
“Please continue to follow the national guidance for where you live to minimise contact with others and ensure you wear a face covering in enclosed spaces and social distance at all times
“If you are feeling unwell and showing Covid- 19 symptoms, get a test and stay at home until you get your results. If it is positive you must self isolate for at least 10 days. You can book a test via www.nhs.uk/coronavirus or by calling 119 if you cannot book online.”
Here is what’s open over the festive break
- If you need urgent medical help, think 111 first. NHS 111 is available on the phone and online 24/7 at 111.nhs.uk and can direct you to the right service at the right time
- We understand it is a difficult time for many. If you are feeling worried about your mental health there are number of services available, from online support at www.keep-your-head.com to Lifeline helpline. If you are in a mental health crisis, you call 111 and select option 2 for urgent support with trained advisors.
- Pharmacies can help with a range of things including hangovers, coughs and colds, emergency contraception, and non-prescription medication. Some pharmacies are open on Christmas Day, Boxing Day, and New Year’s Day. Some Cambridgeshire and Peterborough pharmacies are open.
- Minor Injury Units (MIU) and Urgent Treatment Centres (UTC) can help with a range of minor illnesses and injuries such as sprains and strains, broken bones, minor burns and scalds, minor head and eye injuries, bites and stings.
- Peterborough Urgent Treatment Centre (UTC), City Care Centre, Thorpe Road, Peterborough, PE3 6DB. Open every day with xray services available from 8am to 8pm including Christmas Day, Boxing Day, Bank Holiday Monday and New Year’s Day.
- Ely Minor Injury Unit, Princess of Wales Hospital, Lynn Road, Ely, CB6 1DN. Open every day (except Christmas Day) from 8.30-6pm with x-ray services available. No x-ray services available on 1 January 2021.
- Wisbech Minor Injury Unit. North Cambs Hospital, The Park, Wisbech, PE13 3AB. Open every weekday except Christmas Day on Friday 25 December, Bank Holiday Monday 28 December and New Year’s Day Bank Holiday on Friday 1 January. The Unit is closed at weekends and opens from Monday to Friday at the usual times of 8.30pm to 6pm, with x-ray services available from 9am to 5pm.
- GP practices are open between Christmas and New Year, check your usual GP practice for their opening times.