CPCCG logo
The CCG ceased to exist on 1 July and this website is no longer being updated. Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Integrated Care Board, part of the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Integrated Care System, took over the statutory responsibilities of the CCG. Please visit CPICS
Home » News and events » News archive » News archive 2020 » Where to get medical help on Bank Holiday Monday

Where to get medical help over the August Bank Holiday

There is still a wide range of NHS services available over the August Bank Holiday weekend. Find out here what is available locally.


If you think you have symptoms of coronavirus visit NHS 111 online. Do not go to a GP, pharmacy or hospital.

If you are unable to manage your coronavirus symptoms, have been instructed to do so, or do not have access to the internet, then please call NHS 111.  

For the latest information and advice visit the NHS' website area on coronavirus. 

nhs 111 page divide.png

For any urgent medical help over the bank holiday, you can visit www.111.nhs.uk, or call 111 if you don’t have online access, 24 hours a day.

You will be asked to answer questions about your symptoms on the website, or by speaking to a fully trained adviser on the phone. Depending on the situation you’ll:

  • find out what local service can help you
  • be connected to a nurse, pharmacist or GP
  • be told how to get any medicine you need
  • get self-care advice

If you think you have symptoms of Coronavirus, in the first instance please use the NHS 111 online service 

pharmacies page divide.png

Your local pharmacy can offer clinical advice and over-the-counter medicines for a range of minor illnesses such as coughs, colds, sore throats, tummy trouble and aches and pains.

To find a pharmacy near you visit: www.nhs.uk/service-search/find-a-pharmacy/

A number of pharmacies are also open on Bank Holiday Monday.  

Ely and Pboro page divide.png

Peterborough Urgent Treatment Centre (UTC) is open from 8am until 8pm and The Ely Minor Injury Unit (MIU) is open from 8am until 8pm every day across the weekend.

These can treat a range of minor illnesses and injuries such as sprains and strains, broken bones, minor burns and scalds, minor head and eye injuries, bites and stings. No appointment required.

Further information on the services available can be found on their websites:

Ely Minor Injuries Unit

Peterborough Urgent Treatment Centre

GPs page divide.png

GP practices will be closed on Bank Holiday Monday (31 August). 

If you have an urgent medical problem and you’re not sure what to do please call NHS 111 or visit 111.nhs.uk 

mental health page divide.png

First Response Service (111 option 2)

The First Response Service (FRS) in Cambridgeshire and Peterborough provides those in mental health crisis the opportunity to get access to help quickly, by calling NHS 111 and selecting option 2*.

The service allows patients or carers to speak to specially-trained mental health staff who can provide advice, support, and signposting to other services. The service is available 24/7, 365 days a year. Click HERE for further information. Calls to NHS 111 are free from a landline or mobile phone.

*Patients registered with practices in Wisbech can access the service via dialling 111. The call handler will then transfer them direct to the FRS service.

Other service locally include:

Lifeline: Free, confidential and anonymous telephone helpline service for adults 0808 808 2121 – available from 2pm – 11pm 

  • QWELL: Online counselling and well-being for adults  
  • Centre 33: Supports people in Cambridgeshire and Peterborough with a wide range of issues. Phone lines open between 12-4pm, Monday to Friday. Tel: 0333 4141809 Text/whatsapp: 07514 783745 
  • Childline: 24 hours a day, freephone 0800 1111 
  • Kooth: Free, safe and anonymous online support for young people. Monday – Friday: 12pm – 10pm, Saturday – Sunday: 6pm – 10pm
  • Samaritans: For all ages, free helpline 08457 90 90 90 24 hrs a day, 365 days a year
  • www.keep-your-head.com provides local residents of all ages with a ‘one-stop shop’ for information on wellbeing and mental health. 

dental services page divide.png

If you think you need urgent dental treatment:

  • call your dentist
  • if you cannot contact your dentist, or you do not have one, use the NHS 111 online service
  • if a clinical appointment is necessary, this will be arranged at an urgent dental care centre.