CPCCG logo
The CCG ceased to exist on 1 July and this website is no longer being updated. Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Integrated Care Board, part of the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Integrated Care System, took over the statutory responsibilities of the CCG. Please visit CPICS
Home » News and events » News archive » News archive 2020 » Your guide to local NHS services available over Christmas and New Year 2020

Guide to local NHS services available over Christmas and New Year

Local residents are being urged to use NHS services wisely and ensure they choose the right service for their illness or injury over the Christmas and New Year break.
cold mornin.jpg

During this time there will be a wide range of local NHS services available. From pharmacies open on Christmas Day to NHS 111, which is open 24/7 every day, alternative services available include: 


Many minor illnesses can be treated at home with basic medicines that are available from your local pharmacy or supermarket. Stocking up on essential medicines can help you avoid a trip to the GP or even A&E and can help you stay well this winter. Medicine cabinet essentials include:       

  • painkillers such as aspirin, paracetamol, and ibuprofen          
  • anti-diarrhoea tablets and rehydration powders   
  • indigestion treatment   
  • bandages and plasters   
  • antiseptic cream or spray   
  • first aid kit 

Further information on staying well this winter can be found HERE


Pharmacies can offer expert advice and treatment for a range of things including aches, hangovers, coughs and colds, emergency contraception, and non-prescription medication. 

Pharmacies are open across the area during Christmas and New Year, including some being open on Christmas Day, Boxing Day, and New Year’s Day. 

You can find which pharmacies are open near you below:

General opening times for pharmacies are on the NHS UK website.


Please check with your practice for their specific opening hours over the Christmas and New Year period. If you have an urgent medical concern when your GP is closed call NHS 111 or go to 111.nhs.uk Trained advisors will assess your condition over the phone and connect you to a nurse or GP if appropriate.

GP practices are open on Christmas Eve, 29 December and New Year's Eve. From the 4 January 2021 practices will be open as usual.

NHS 111 

If you think you have an urgent medical concern, call 111 or visit 111.nhs.uk Depending on the situation, the team of trained advisors can connect you to a nurse, dentist or even a GP.  

NHS 111 is open 24/7, 365 days a year. Calls to NHS 111 are free from a landline or mobile phone. You can also go online at 111.nhs.uk

Minor Injury Units (MIU) and Urgent Treatment Centres (UTC)

There are a number of Minor Injury Units (MIU) and Urgent Treatment Centres (UTC) across the county that can treat a range of minor illnesses and injuries such as sprains and strains, broken bones, minor burns and scalds, minor head and eye injuries, bites and stings. 

No appointment required, opening hours over the Christmas and New Year period are as follows: 

Peterborough Urgent Treatment Centre (UTC), City Care Centre, Thorpe Road, Peterborough, PE3 6DB

Monday – Sunday: 8am-8pm
New Year’s Day: open 8am-8pm (X-ray: 8am - 8pm) 

Ely MIU, Princess of Wales Hospital, Lynn Road, Ely, CB6 1DN

Open every day from 8.30-6pm with  x-ray services available.
On 1 January 2021 there will be no x-ray services available at Ely MIU.

Wibech Minor Injury Unit,North Cambs Hospital, The Park, Wisbech, PE13 3AB

Open every weekday except New Year’s Day Bank Holiday on Friday 1 January. The Unit is closed at weekends and opens from Monday to Friday at the usual times of 8.30am to 6pm, with x-ray services available from 9am to 5pm.

Mental Health – 111 option 2

The First Response Service (FRS) in Cambridgeshire and Peterborough provides those in mental health crisis the opportunity to get access to help quickly, by calling NHS 111 and selecting option 2*.

The service allows patients or carers to speak to specially-trained mental health staff who can provide advice, support, and signposting to other services. The service is available 24/7, 365 days a year. Click HERE for further information. Calls to NHS 111 are free from a landline or mobile phone.

*Patients registered with practices in Wisbech can access the service via dialling 111. The call handler will then transfer them direct to the FRS service.


www.keep-your-head.com/ provides local residents of all ages with a ‘one-stop shop’ for information on wellbeing and mental health. This includes a range of local and national information on looking after your mental health, self-help resources, and local services that can help when you need more support.

Dental emergency and out-of-hours care

If you think you need urgent care, contact your usual dentist as some practices offer emergency dental slots and will provide care if necessary. You can also call NHS 111, who can put you in touch with an urgent dental service.