CPCCG logo
Home » Your Health and Services » Better Births » Postnatal care and information » Babies who need extra care

Babies who need extra care

Sometimes babies are born too early, or too small, they could be born sick or require further monitoring. In these cases, your baby may need to receive treatment in a neonatal unit. The neonatal unit may also be called a neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) or a special care baby unit (SCBU). 

You have some stories on our website from local parents and their experiences of NICU

Candice and her daughter's stay on NICU

Charlotte and her daughter's stay on NICU

Harriet and her son's stay on NICU

The NHS website also has a page about neonatal care 

Bliss is a national charity for babies born premature or sick. They have a wealth of information on their site including how to get support, explaining neonatal care, going home from the hospital, developmental milestones and more.

You can find out more about different types of units that help babies on the Tommy's website.

Neonatal leaflet for parents leaving neonatal from Bliss

There is also information about the local units:

The Rosie Hospital, Cambridge

Peterborough City Hospital

Hinchingbrooke Hospital, Huntingdon