CPCCG logo
Home » Your Health and Services » Mental health services

Mental health services

The main provider of NHS mental health care in Cambridgeshire and Peterborough is the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough NHS Foundation Trust.

First Response Service landscape.jpg

Crisis support

If you are experiencing a mental health crisis and need help, call NHS 111 and select option 2. Specially-trained mental health staff will speak to you and discuss your mental health care needs – instead of having to go to accident and emergency departments in local acute hospitals.

Mental health and wellbeing

Mental health and wellbeing is important to us all. Mental health is the emotional resilience that enables us all to enjoy life and to survive pain, disappointment and sadness.

Mental health problems are amongst the most common forms of ill health. And they can affect any one of us, at any point in our lives. Mental health problems range from reactions to normal life events, such as bereavement, relationship breakdowns and depression, to more complex conditions such as schizophrenia. Dementia is another mental health problem that especially affects older people.

Cambridgeshire and Peterborough CCG works for people with mental health problems to commission (buy) services, ensuring they get the right help and support. In order to do this effectively we work with people who have experienced mental health problems, social care providers and voluntary services.

Who can help

There are a number of local voluntary organisations who can help people with mental health problems. We also commission some of these to provide services, covering a range of mental health services from primary care - including Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) services for people with mild to moderate mental health problems, through to secondary care and a range of specialist services for people with enduring mental illness and more complex problems. These are as below:

NHS mental health care for veterans

NHS England has published the this leaflet on NHS veterans mental health services.

What to do if you think you need help

If you think you might be suffering from a mental health problem, you should first contact your GP. They may be able to help you treat the problem themselves, or help you to access a range of other local and internet based sources of help. If the problem is or becomes more serious, they can refer you to a more specialised mental health service.

Commissioning enquiries

If you have a specific query about the local commissioning of mental health services, please email our mental health commissioning team at capccg.MHLDcommissioning@nhs.net